Saturday, January 15, 2011

[2010.11.22] Day 2 in Hong Kong

On our second day, we went to Stanley at Hong Kong Island. It is where the beaches of Hong Kong are. We took Bus 6 at Central Exchange Square and the ride was about 45mins to 1 hour. Warning: The Bus 6 ride is not for the people with motion sickness. I got a little dizzy when I arrived at Stanley because of the winding roads. Although, it was indeed a scenic bus ride.

On the way to Stanley. I wasn't able to catch more pictures since I was dizzy with the bus ride.

Stanley is whole lot another story compared to the bustling cities of Tsim Sha Tsui and Central. The atmosphere here is very laid back and peaceful. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to explore the place that much. I only went up to Stanley Market then left for Central again. Stanley Market does not attract me, though. Prices are touristy and the merchandise selection are limited for my taste, at least for the part of the market I was able to look around and mostly can be found at the Ladies Market also. Lots of Caucasian tourists are here, by the way. As for the beaches, I caught a glimpse of it during the bus ride, I could say, our beaches in the Philippines are definitely more beautiful.
The only picture I have of Stanley. Near Stanley Market.
For lunch, we ate at Yung Kee Restaurant in Central, famous for its roasted goose. It was quite a fine dining restaurant, if I may say. Good thing, they serve set meals worth HKD 30-40. Before our meals were served, they gave us two teapots of Jasmine Tea and a plate of preserved duck eggs. All along we thought they were complimentary. However, when the bill arrived, the tea and eggs were charged! Pfffft! The roasted goose I ordered wasn't that extraordinary. I guess saying Yung Kee's the best was a bit overrated. Nevertheless, Yung Kee is a Michelin-starred restaurant, so I guess their other food offers are good.

Roast Goose and Soup fom Yung Kee. I enjoyed the soup more than the Roast Goose.


We went back to the hostel quite early. The elders were very exhausted walking all day and yesterday. As for  me, I rested for a bit and ready to explore again! I waited for Mama and Tita Baby, though because they want to come with me in Mongkok. They shopped at the Ladies Market while I went to Fa Yuen Street to canvass Chucks. It was my first to go to Fa Yuen and wow, the street is really lined up with rubber shoes store, left to right, north to south! It was overwhelming!

We bought street foods while in Mongkok, it was like a barbecue stand counterpart in the Philippines (but they also do some frying aside from grilling). They are selling various balls, intestines, sausages and many other kinds. Average price is HKD 10 per one stick. While we already got our orders, the vendor told us to get away in front of their stall in a rude way! Hmmmp. Eh nag-iisip pa ako kung anong sawsawan ang kukunin ko dahil syempre hindi ko naman alam kung ano ang bagay dun sa inorder ko. Alam ko na medyo nakaka-istorbo kami pero sana sabihin naman ng maayos. Grabe talaga 'yung mga iyon. 

Point in case: Whenever, you're in Hong Kong, don't slack. Walk and act fast. People there are always on the go and they don't want you interrupting their fast-paced lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment