Saturday, July 31, 2010

Singapore Food Trip


Amongst other Asian countries, I would say that Singapore Cuisine has the most diverse taste since its country has three major races, the Chinese, Malays, and Indians. So, I would say Singapore cuisine is a gastronomic fusion.

During the course of my trip, I was able to sample the "must-eats" in Singapore at the famous food centers.

Maxwell Food Center (near Chinatown)
  • Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice - I particularly went to Maxwell Food Center just to taste the ever-famous Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice which was featured by Anthony Bourdain in his No Reservations show. I queued for about 30 minutes and the fact that the queue is that long, I know the place is really a must. The dish looks very simple with the chicken looking bland and all but the taste is just so right and sumptuous especially when you mix it with the condiments and the rice. The price of only SGD 2.5-3.0 is also a plus!

Note: Tian Tian opens at around 11:00am but Maxwell is already open by 8:00am


  • Nasi Lemak with Beef Rendang - Nasi Lemak is a Malay dish meaning rice cooked in coconut milk. Along with the rice, it is served with fried dilis, sambal, and a viand of your choice. For my breakfast, I chose the uber hot Beef Rendang. The combination of crunchy dilis to rice and rendang is a nice touch to your every bite.

Nasi Lemak with Beef Rendang

  • Fishball Noodle - We were a bit early at Maxwell and Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice isn't open yet (we were told to be back by 11am). So I scoured Maxwell for my breakfast and found this. Typical noodles with oyster sauce or soy sauce as the base. The fishballs are good, though.



  • Drinks (Fresh Sugar Cane Juice and Grass Jelly Juice) - I love Singapore juices! They are so fresh, squeezed right in front you (at least for the fruit and sugar cane). It was my first time to drink fresh Sugar Cane juice. Sugar canes went to the presser or whatever you call that, and voila, fresh juice served for SGD 1.50. Grass Jelly Juice, on the other hand, is just another name of Gulaman for us, Filipinos. I love Pinoy gulaman and so as this one!

Grass Jelly Juice

Makansutra Gluttons Bay
behind the Esplanade Mall
opens at 6pm until 3am


Makansutra is a touristy place and so are the prices of the food. Prices are about SGD 1-2 higher than hawker centers. But I just have to be here. Never mind the price. The night was packed with both tourists and locals and it was hard to find a table. Anyways, we ordered Hokkien Mie and Seafood Rice for our dinner.

Hokkien Mie
Seafood Rice





Bedok Hawker Center and other Mall Food Courts

  • Laksa - Malay noodle soup with coconut milk. Not really my kind of taste, or perhaps, its just this particular stall. Hmmm, I just realized that Malays love coconut milk, don't they?

    • Char Siew Rice - Barbequed pork with rice. Simple yet bursting with flavor in every bite for only SGD 2.

    • Ice Kachang - Ice shaved dessert similar to Halo-Halo. It has red monggo, sweet corn, jelly, and other ingredients I don't know. But this tastes like almond jelly. Good eat at SGD 1.5.

    • Char Kway Teow - Stir fried noodle dish. I was really excited to eat this, looking so yummy, but the cockles burst my bubble! Set aside the cockles, this is good, though.


    What I had was just a sampler. I am yet to taste the other Singapore must eats in the future, so I'll definitely be back, Singapore! Chilli Crabs, you're next!

    'Till my next Culinary Adventure! :)

    4 comments:

    1. 'Gluttons' Bay? Sounds like a very interesting place, I bet my husband and I would enjoy eating there too!

      ReplyDelete
    2. For sure! :) Not only at Makansutra but the other Hawker Centers as well!

      ReplyDelete
    3. sh*t! mouth-watering dishes... 0_0

      ReplyDelete
    4. A-huh. Better eat there Resiel.. ng bonggang-bongga! Haha! Eat some for me! ;)

      ReplyDelete